Brian has been described by his peers as an “exceptionally talented top-tier lawyer,” who is “tenacious,” “hard-working,” and “conscientious.” Brian’s compassion for his clients forms the foundation of his practice, and he is devoted to helping them through some of the most difficult times imaginable — the loss of a loved one or coping with the new realities that accompany life-altering personal injuries.
Brian’s results speak for themselves and have earned him continued recognition by his peers as well as numerous legal organizations and publications. Brian has recovered tens-of-millions for his clients. Some of those results include:
- $140 million jury verdict for the wrongful death of a woman caused by a medical record transcription error and hospital negligence
- $15 million jury verdict for the wrongful death of a woman who died in the hospital recovery room after she was administered an overdose of propofol (anesthesia drug) by an incompetent nurse
- $7 million settlement in a product liability defect case
- $5.9 million settlement arising out of the death of a construction worker
- $4.2 million settlement in a products liability case
- $4 million settlement in a medical malpractice case
- $3.75 million settlement in a medical malpractice case
- $3.25 million settlement in a medical malpractice case
- $2.8 million settlement in a Federal Tort Claim case arising out of a motorcycle accident
- $2.4 million jury verdict against Farmers Insurance for fraudulent representations made to a local insurance agent
- $2.2 million settlement in a tractor-trailer accident case
- $2 million settlement in a medical malpractice case
- $2 million settlement in a medical malpractice case
- $1.79 million jury verdict on behalf of a woman who fractured her hip and femur when she fell at a restaurant
Brian also has appellate experience and has successfully argued before the Supreme Court of Alabama. His cases have often been reported in local and national news publications. Most recently, Brian was interviewed on PBS NewsHour about one of his cases that involved a highly dangerous power tool that has seriously injured dozens of shipyard workers.
From 2012 – 2020 Brian served on the Board of Governors for the American Association for Justice as one of only three representatives from Alabama. He is a member of the Alabama Association for Justice and the South Alabama Trial Lawyers Association. Brian is licensed to practice law in Alabama and Texas.
Brian, his wife, Breana, and their four children reside in Fairhope. When not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his family and engaging in all types of physical fitness and outdoor activities. Brian and his family are members of First Baptist Church Fairhope.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2020-2021)
- AV® Preeminent™ (Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer rating standard. This rating signifies that the lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards)
- Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America (LCA is the trial lawyer honorary society, composed of less than one-half of one percent of American Lawyers)
- Fellow – American Bar Foundation (an honorary society of lawyers and jurists that is limited to the top 1% of the lawyers admitted to practice in the United States)
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys – Lifetime Achievement Membership (comprised of attorneys whose accomplishments merit lifetime achievement recognition)
- Recognized as one of Mobile's "Forty Under 40" in 2013
- Listed in Super Lawyers magazine as an Alabama / Mid-South Region Rising Star (2011,2012, 2014-Present)
- Listed as a Rising Star in the area of Medical Malpractice by Super Lawyers
- Listed as a Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney by Super Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Alabama
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40 in Alabama
- Admitted to the Alabama Bar in 2008
- Admitted to the Texas Bar in 2018
- Cumberland School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- Texas Tech University, B.A., 2002
- Member of the American Association for Justice (Board of Governors, 2012 – 2020)
- Member of the Alabama Association for Justice
- Member of the Mobile Bar Association
- Member of the South Alabama Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Sustaining Fellow of the Pound Civil Justice Institute
- Best Lawyers® Features 13 Cunningham Bounds, LLC Attorneys in 2021 Edition
Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Includes All Partners of Cunningham Bounds
Mobile, Ala. – The 2020 edition of Best Lawyers in ...
All Partners of Cunningham Bounds Recognized in 2018 Mid-South Super Lawyers
All partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have been ...
2017 SUPER LAWYERS LIST INCLUDES ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS, LLC
Mobile, Ala. – The partners of Cunningham Bounds, ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST DEPUY DUE TO ATTUNE® KNEE REPLACEMENT FAILURE
Mobile, Ala. – On September 13, 2017, Cunningham ...
BUSINESS ALABAMA MAGAZINE FEATURES CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS IN TOP DOLLAR JURY AWARDS ARTICLE
An article in the August 2017 edition of Business ...
DEPUY ATTUNE® KNEE REPLACEMENT FAILURES INVESTIGATED BY CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS
The attorneys of Cunningham Bounds are currently ...
SHIPBUILDERS WITH SAFETY PROBLEMS WINNING MILITARY CONTRACTS
PBS NEWSHOUR The U.S. shipbuilding industry ...
SUPREME COURT: SUIT AGAINST MOBILE SHIPBUILDER CAN CONTINUE
By: The Associated Press Published: March 3, 2017, ...
AUSTAL EMPLOYEES SUE OVER ‘DANGEROUS TOOL'
By: Bill Riales Published: WKRG News 5, February ...
THIS TOOL CUTS FINGERS AND GASHES FACES, BUT SHIPBUILDER STILL USES IT
By Jennifer Gollan Published: February 16, 2017, ...
ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECEIVE 2016 SUPER LAWYERS RANKING
Mobile, Ala. – All the partners of Cunningham ...
BRIAN DUNCAN NAMED ASSOCIATE FELLOW OF LITIGATION COUNSEL OF AMERICA
Mobile, Alabama attorney J. Brian Duncan, Jr., of ...
ALL CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS PARTNERS NAMED TO ALABAMA SUPER LAWYERS
All the partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have ...
$140 MILLION VERDICT AGAINST THOMAS HOSPITAL WAS 7TH LARGEST IN U.S. LAST YEAR
By Brendan Kirby | email@example.com on February 04, ...
TOP TEN (#7) JURY VERDICTS OF 2012: ANGER OVER OUTSOURCED MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION ERRORS YIELDS $140M
Anger over outsourced medical transcription errors ...
BALDWIN COUNTY JURY HANDS DOWN $140M SETTLEMENT
BAY MINETTE, Ala. (WALA) - A Baldwin County jury ...
FATAL OUTSOURCING? THOMAS HOSPITAL HIT WITH $140 MILLION VERDICT IN DEATH OF DAPHNE WOMAN
BY: Brendan Kirby, Press-Register BAY MINETTE, ...
- ALABAMA JURY AWARDS $15M FOR DEATH FROM PROPOFOL
MOBILE JURY RETURNS $15 MILLION VERDICT FOR WRONGFUL DEATH AT SPRINGHILL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Mobile, Ala. – On June 25, 2012, a Mobile, ...
FIRM REPRESENTS FAMILY IN LOCAL CEMETERY MIX-UP (WKRG.COM)
By Jessica Taloney EIGHT MILE, Alabama - A local ...