(251) 299-0101

$61.5 Million Recovered in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

McDonald v. Mobile Gas Service Corporation l McDonald v. Luxaire, et al. | Circuit Court of Mobile County, Alabama | CV-1986-001101

On December 23, 1985, Nell and Joe Wilburn, their daughter, son-in-law and 3-month old granddaughter all died of carbon monoxide poisoning inside a Mobile, Alabama home. The carbon monoxide poisoning was caused by the defective nature of a vent or exhaust system on the central gas heater, which allowed combustion gases (carbon monoxide) to be exhausted within the attic. These gases were then recirculated through the heating system and expelled through the duct work and heater vents and into the house, resulting in the five deaths.

An $11.5 million settlement was negotiated prior to trial with Mobile Gas Service Corporation for the deaths.

At the 1990 trial against remaining defendant, Luxaire, a $50 million verdict was rendered by the jury.

Lawyers Involved:

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.