Named by Super Lawyers magazine as one of Alabama’s Rising Stars and recognized in 2014 as one of the top “Forty Under 40” trial lawyers in Alabama, Billy is a “think-outside-the-box” attorney whose creative approach and hard work have resulted in beat-the-odds wins for his clients. A powerful combination of drive, resourcefulness, and intelligence is the hallmark of Billy’s work. He is one of the few attorneys at the firm that devotes equal time to both personal injury and business cases, and this diversity in his practice forms the foundation of his unique and focused approach to his clients' problems.
Billy enjoys handling complex cases that require a full and detailed understanding of how products, businesses, and markets work. In recent years, he has handled cases involving industrial explosions, commercial trucking accidents, aviation accidents, interest-rate swaps, and employment fraud. Since 2013, he has recovered over $100 million for his clients, and his cases have been reported by Bloomberg News, Business Alabama, the Press-Register, and The Birmingham News.
Some of Billy’s recent successes include:?
- $11 million settlement for a man that suffered multiple amputations as a result of negligent medical treatment he received at an urgent care clinic.
- Nearly $10 million dollar award for a local sewer company that was defrauded by a regional bank.
- $8.5 million judgment for the family of a pilot who was killed in a helicopter crash.
- $7.5 million settlement for Family of Motorcyclist Killed in Crash by Delivery Driver
- $6 million settlement for the family of a young man who was killed by an improperly secured pressure cylinder.
- $3.2 million settlement for the family of a man who was killed in an industrial explosion.
- $3.2 million award for the children of a man who was killed in a motorcycle crash.
- $3 million jury verdict for a man who suffered a head injury in a crash with an 18-wheeler.
- $1.75 million jury verdict for a yacht owner against an insurance company that refused to compensate him for the total loss of his yacht.
- $1 million policy limits settlement for a young man who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a crash involving a commercial truck
- $1 million settlement for a farmer who was catastrophically injured when his tractor was run over by a distracted 18-wheeler driver
- $850,000 jury verdict for a man, while stopped in traffic on the interstate, was injured in a four-vehicle chain reaction crash caused by a tractor trailer driver who failed to slow down and stop.
In addition to these successes, Billy has secured numerous confidential settlements for his clients that have exceeded $1 million.
A former member of the Spring Hill College baseball team and named All-American in 2000 and 2002, Billy was born and raised in Mobile, Alabama. After graduating from Spring Hill College, he enrolled in law school at the University of Alabama, where he graduated summa cum laude in 2005.
During law school, Billy was inducted into the Order of the Coif, was a Hugo Black Scholar, and received the Dean M. Leigh Harrison award for academic excellence. He also served as a senior editor of the Alabama Law Review. Married with four children, in his spare time Billy enjoys spending time with family, hunting, and fishing.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- Super Lawyers magazine has named Billy as one of Alabama & the Mid-South Region's Rising Stars (2011, 2013-Present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2016 - Present)
- Recognized as one of Mobile's "Forty Under 40" in 2012
- Since 2014, the National Trial Lawyers have named Billy as one of the Top “Forty Under 40” trial lawyers in Alabama.
- AV® Preeminent™ 4.8/5.0 Peer Rating
- Inducted into the Order of the Coif
- Hugo Black Scholar
- Received the Dean M. Leigh Harrison award for academic excellence
- Member of the baseball team at Spring Hill College and was named an All-American in 2000 and 2002
- University of Alabama, J.D.,summa cum laude, 2005
- Spring Hill College, B.S., International Business, cum laude, 2002
- Admitted to Alabama Bar in 2005
- Admitted to the Mississippi Bar in 2019
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Member of the Mobile Bar Association
- Mobile Volunteer Lawyer’s Program
- Senior Editor, Alabama Law Review
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Board of Directors (2009)
- Board of Directors, YMCA of South Alabama
- Finance Committee Member, Dauphin Way United Methodist Church
- Best Lawyers® Features 13 Cunningham Bounds, LLC Attorneys in 2021 Edition
Cunningham Bounds, LLC Achieved $3 Million Verdict for Truck Accident Injury Victim
The Cunningham Bounds, LLC legal team recovered $3 ...
Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Includes All Partners of Cunningham Bounds
Mobile, Ala. – The 2020 edition of Best Lawyers in ...
All Partners of Cunningham Bounds Recognized in 2018 Mid-South Super Lawyers
All partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have been ...
Twelve Attorneys from Cunningham Bounds, LLC Named to 2019 “Best Lawyers” List
Cunningham Bounds, LLC is pleased to announce that ...
2017 SUPER LAWYERS LIST INCLUDES ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS, LLC
Mobile, Ala. – The partners of Cunningham Bounds, ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST DEPUY DUE TO ATTUNE® KNEE REPLACEMENT FAILURE
Mobile, Ala. – On September 13, 2017, Cunningham ...
DEPUY ATTUNE® KNEE REPLACEMENT FAILURES INVESTIGATED BY CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS
The attorneys of Cunningham Bounds are currently ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA®
MOBILE, Ala. – Twelve personal injury attorneys ...
SHIPBUILDERS WITH SAFETY PROBLEMS WINNING MILITARY CONTRACTS
PBS NEWSHOUR The U.S. shipbuilding industry ...
YOUNG MAN KILLED WHEN FIRE EXTINGUISHER BECOMES HIGH-SPEED MISSILE: FIRE EQUIPMENT SERVICE COMPANY TO PAY $6 MILLION TO FAMILY
Mobile, Ala. – Fyr-Fyter Sales & Service, Inc., a ...
SUPREME COURT: SUIT AGAINST MOBILE SHIPBUILDER CAN CONTINUE
By: The Associated Press Published: March 3, 2017, ...
AUSTAL EMPLOYEES SUE OVER ‘DANGEROUS TOOL'
By: Bill Riales Published: WKRG News 5, February ...
THIS TOOL CUTS FINGERS AND GASHES FACES, BUT SHIPBUILDER STILL USES IT
By Jennifer Gollan Published: February 16, 2017, ...
ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECEIVE 2016 SUPER LAWYERS RANKING
Mobile, Ala. – All the partners of Cunningham ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS LISTED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2017
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen personal injury lawyers ...
DEUTSCHE BANK AND OCWEN TO PAY $400,000 FOR WRONGFUL FORECLOSURE
The Housing Justice Foundation Published: December ...
BENCHMARK LITIGATION NAMES CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS A LEADING LAW FIRM
MOBILE, Ala. – In its 2016 rankings of America’s ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS INVESTIGATING VOLKSWAGEN EMISSIONS CASES
Our firm is currently investigating cases ...
ATTORNEYS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2016
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen lawyers from the firm ...
ALL CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS PARTNERS NAMED TO ALABAMA SUPER LAWYERS
All the partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have ...
REGIONS BANK FOUND LIABLE FOR FRAUD, ORDERED TO PAY LOCAL SEWER COMPANY MILLIONS
Mobile, Ala. – Following a week-long trial in ...