Assisted Living Neglect & Abuse Lawyers
We Take on Cases in Mobile & Surrounding Communities
Although recent media reports have exposed widespread abuse and neglect in nursing homes throughout the United States, instances of abuse and neglect in assisted living facilities are still underreported.
Just like nursing home residents, seniors in assisted living facilities are also at high-risk of experiencing abuse and neglect from their caregivers. Because seniors who live in assisted living facilities tend to require less immediate care than seniors in nursing homes, the staff at assisted living facilities often have the perception that many of the people they are responsible for can adequately care for their own needs, which can lead to serious neglect. In addition, assisted living residents have serious health conditions that make them more vulnerable to suffering abuse and neglect.
Common Forms of Assisted Living Neglect & Abuse
Our attorneys can help you take legal action for any of the following forms of abuse and neglect:
- Physical Abuse: Unfortunately, some people are slapped, hit, pushed, or kicked by those in charge of their care. There have even been reports of residents being restrained and prevented from eating or drinking.
- Psychological Abuse: Verbal assaults, harassment, and bullying are examples of psychological abuse. Ignoring the needs of a resident is also a form of psychological abuse.
- Sexual Abuse: Unfortunately, rape and sexual assault are major problems at assisted living facilities across the country. If you or a loved one have been sexually abused at an assisted living facility, you should immediately get in touch with our team to discuss your legal options.
- Neglect: Many cases of neglect at assisted living facilities are due to understaffing. However, some cases are also due to staff acting indifferently towards residents in their care. Bedsores, malnourishment, and dehydration are signs of possible neglect.
- Financial Abuse: Residents at assisted living facilities are often the target of elaborate financial schemes. Some staff will even steal or use the property of residents without their permission.
What Are the Signs of Abuse & Neglect?
If you notice any of the following signs in a loved one who is a resident at an assisted living facility, they might be experiencing abuse and neglect:
- Changes in their physical appearance or social mannerisms
- Changes in mood or feelings of depression and anxiety
- Unexplained weight loss
- Sudden appearance of bruises or burn marks on different areas of their body
- Broken bones and internal injuries
- Bedsores or rashes that have developed from inactivity
- Tension between your loved one and staff at the facility
Talk to our Legal Team in Mobile, Alabama
At Cunningham Bounds, we are committed to helping assisted living facility residents pursue justice. If your loved one has been abused or neglected by staff at their assisted living facility, you should immediately consult with our lawyers to discuss your legal options. We can review the details of your case and walk you through the legal process so you know what to expect. Let us fight for you today.
Contact our Alabama nursing home abuse attorneys to schedule a free case evaluation