Steve Nicholas is part of an elite group of Alabama litigators known for their skill in handling Bet-the-Company cases. A big picture thinker, his work revolves around complex litigation claims including class actions and mass torts. Among his many noteworthy cases is representing thousands of business owners who filed lawsuits and claims in connection with the BP oil spill, an event that is deemed to be the worst environmental disaster in the history of the United States.
Steve represented hundreds of employees of a regional county hospital who learned their employer canceled their pension program without making millions of dollars in required contributions. Steve served as co-class counsel in securing a settlement that required the hospital to pay all of the missed contributions to the retirement fund. He has also recovered millions of dollars for consumers in class action cases against mortgage companies who took advantage of their customers during the housing crisis.
Steve’s construction practice focuses on significant claims related to large projects. He successfully represented through trial the contractor who built the largest cable-stayed bridge in Alabama. He represented the owner of the tallest building in the State of Alabama who was delayed on the construction because of design errors made by the soil engineers. Steve has represented clients locally and throughout the Southeast on construction disputes.
Born in Mobile, Alabama, Steve earned his J.D. in 1984 from the University of Alabama. During law school, he was a member of the Order of the Coif, recipient of the Dean Leigh Harrison Award, the Corpus Juris Secundum Award and the American Jurisprudence Award, and is a Hugo Black Scholar.
Married with two children, Steve is actively working to better the legal profession. He is currently president-elect of the Alabama Association of Justice. He recently completed his term as president of the Paul Brock chapter of the American Inns of Court, and serves on the Executive Committee of the South Alabama Trial Lawyers Association. Steve formerly served on the Board of Governors of the American Association of Justice. Steve is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, the Alabama Bar Foundation and a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. He also serves as president of the Alabama Civil Justice Foundation.
Steve is the lawyer businesses turn to when the stakes are high and they cannot afford to lose.
- $12.1 billion settlement in the biggest offshore spill in U.S. history
- $149.9 million settlement approved in health system pension crisis
- $51 million jury verdict for local business against national corporation
- $40 million settlement for local business against large multi-state corporation
- $46 million settlement in defective marine engine product liability case
- $10 million settlement over financial fees for mortgage loans
- $5 million settlement against Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- $3 million settlement in use of improper affidavits by Chase
- $2.5 million settlement in class action against CitiMortgage
- Numerous other confidential settlements
Recognition & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Named a “Litigation Star” in its national rankings of personal injury attorneys and for Alabama (2013 – present)
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Listed (2008 – present)
- Named “Lawyer of the Year – Bet the Company Litigation” (2013, 2018, and 2023)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, Listed (2021)
- Super Lawyers, Listed as one of the top attorneys in Alabama / Mid-South Region (2008 – present)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Alabama Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 5.0/5.0 Peer Rating