Relentless. Skilled. Prepared. Tenacious. All of these words describe Robert’s work as a trial lawyer. He understands that painstaking preparation, careful analysis, and attention to detail win big cases. In an era when very few cases are decided in a courtroom, Robert takes pride in trying cases to a jury whenever and wherever defendants are unwilling to accept full responsibility for their wrongdoing. Robert’s skill and tenacity have been widely noted.
He is board-certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the American Board of Trial Advocacy. He is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell. He is listed in Best Lawyers of America®. He is listed in Benchmark Plaintiff’s ranking of Alabama attorneys as a “Future Star.” He has been repeatedly identified as one of Alabama’s “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyer magazine.
Accolades aside, Robert has an unwavering passion for representing those who have been seriously injured or killed. His passion is proven by his results. In the courtroom, Robert has served as lead and co-lead counsel in obtaining significant verdicts in extremely challenging cases. A few recent examples include the following:
- $14.8M Verdict for wrongful death and personal injury in a natural gas explosion in one of the most conservative venues in the United States.
- $1.78M Verdict for personal injuries suffered in a fall at a national chain restaurant.
- $1.725M Verdict for personal injuries suffered in a fall at a retail facility.
- $1.7M Verdict for personal injuries suffered in an industrial site accident.
- $1.0M Verdict for personal injuries suffered in a crash with a UPS truck.
In a recent trial, Robert obtained a $779,477.00 jury verdict for a mechanic who was injured on the job. This outcome is particularly remarkable given that the defendant had only offered one dollar ($1.00) prior to the verdict.
By aggressively preparing cases for trial, Robert has also obtained numerous multi-million dollar settlements for his clients. These cases involve everything from 18-wheeler crashes to defective consumer products to industrial site injuries. Some settlements that Robert has recently obtained include the following:
- $9.0M settlement for wrongful death at industrial facility
- $6.0M settlement for injuries in a crash caused by a heavy commercial truck
- $5.0M settlement for wrongful death at industrial facility
- $3.0M settlement for injuries from fall at industrial site
- $2.7M settlement for wrongful death at hospital
- $1.8M settlement for injuries caused by improperly maintained equipment
- $1.5M settlement for injuries in a crash caused by an 18-wheeler
- $1.25M settlement for injuries in a car crash
- $1.1M settlement for injuries to bicyclist
- $1.0M settlement for injuries sustained in diving accident
- $1.0M settlement for injuries caused by improperly maintained utility truck
- $1.0M settlement for injuries caused at industrial site
- $1.0M settlement for injuries caused by defective equipment
Away from the office, Robert and his wife take great pleasure in raising their two children. Robert has also served on the Board of Directors for Via!, a charitable organization dedicated to supporting senior citizens in need, on the Senior Bowl Charitable Committee, and most recently on the Board of Ambassadors for the American Cancer Society.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- AV® Preeminent™ (Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer rating standard. This rating signifies that the lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2016 - Present)
- Future Star in Benchmark Litigation (2014-present)
- Rising Star in Super Lawyers magazine (2012-present)
- Recognized as one of Mobile’s “Forty Under 40” (2011)
- Admitted to the Bar in Alabama in 2007
- University of Alabama, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2002
- Member of the American Association for Justice
- Member of the Mobile Bar Association
- Served as the Senior Editor for the Alabama Law Review
- Christ Episcopal Church in Mobile, Member
- Via!, a charitable organization dedicated to supporting senior citizens in need, Board of Directors
- Senior Bowl Charitable Committee
- When not practicing law or spending time with his family, Robert enjoys exploring the Mobile River Delta
Twelve Attorneys from Cunningham Bounds, LLC Named to 2019 “Best Lawyers” List
Cunningham Bounds, LLC is pleased to announce that ...
$1.7 MILLION VERDICT UPHELD IN DOLLAR GENERAL SLIP-AND-FALL CASE
The Alabama Supreme Court has upheld a $1.7 ...
2017 SUPER LAWYERS LIST INCLUDES ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS, LLC
Mobile, Ala. – The partners of Cunningham Bounds, ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED AS LEADING LITIGATION LAW FIRM IN ALABAMA
MOBILE, Ala. – Benchmark Litigation announced its ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA®
MOBILE, Ala. – Twelve personal injury attorneys ...
ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECEIVE 2016 SUPER LAWYERS RANKING
Mobile, Ala. – All the partners of Cunningham ...
ALABAMA JURY RETURNS $1,725,000 VERDICT AGAINST DOLLAR GENERAL FOR INADEQUATE INSPECTION POLICIES
On September 21, 2016, a Mobile County, Alabama ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS LISTED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2017
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen personal injury lawyers ...
BENCHMARK LITIGATION NAMES CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS A LEADING LAW FIRM
MOBILE, Ala. – In its 2016 rankings of America’s ...
ATTORNEYS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2016
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen lawyers from the firm ...
ALL CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS PARTNERS NAMED TO ALABAMA SUPER LAWYERS
All the partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have ...
$5 MILLION RECOVERED FOR THE ESTATE OF MAN KILLED IN INDUSTRIAL INCIDENT
Monday, Sep 15, 2014 Mobile, Ala. – The morning ...
JURY FINDS ETOWAH CHEMICAL NEGLIGENT IN PRESSURE WASHER ACCIDENT
Mobile, Ala. – On April 25, 2014, a Mobile County, ...
- JURY AWARDS FAMILY MILLIONS
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS' VERDICT RANKED AMONG NATION'S TOP 100 VERDICTS
Mobile, Ala. – The attorneys of Cunningham Bounds ...
KIA HIT FOR $40 MILLION FOR DEATH CAUSED BY DEFECTIVE SEAT BELT BUCKLE
Mobile, Ala. – On June 23, 2011, after five years ...
- DELAYED RECALL OF SEATBELT LEADS TO $40 MILLION JURY VERDICT
MOBILE COUNTY JURY SLAPS KIA WITH $40 MILLION WRONGFUL DEATH VERDICT (PRESS-REGISTER)
By Rena Havner Philips, Press-Register Mobile, ...
- ROBERT MITCHELL NAMED TO 40 UNDER 40 CLASS OF 2011
UA STUDENT'S PARENT FILES SUIT OVER DEATH
By Stephanie Taylor Staff Writer The Tuscaloosa ...
SCUBA TEACHER FACING CHARGES
By Josh Bean Press-Register A former University of ...
Robert Mitchell Discusses Prescription Errors On Local 15 News Play Video