Toby Brown is a tenacious litigator who has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients over the course of his career. Unwavering in his commitment, Toby has earned national recognition as a top trial attorney and is known for his work in representing clients during some of the most traumatic and transformational times in their lives. For over twenty seven years, he has successfully handled a wide variety of cases including medical malpractice, consumer products defects, road design defects, industrial accidents, trucking and automobile accidents, admiralty and maritime law, environmental pollution and fraud just to name a few. His diverse courtroom experience includes serving as lead and co-lead counsel on: a $108 million verdict against a chemical plant for illegally disposing of hazardous waste; a $40 million verdict against a major automobile manufacturer for the death of a 16-year-old girl for failure to recall a defective seatbelt buckle; and a $140 million verdict against a hospital and its outsourced medical transcription company for a woman’s death caused by a transcription error that led to a fatal medication dosage.
Born in Mobile, Alabama, Toby received his B.S. degree, cum laude, from the University of South Alabama, and his J.D. degree from the University of Alabama. Toby is an active member of the community, having served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Mobile Metropolitan YMCA and as Chairman of the Administrative Board, the Board of Trustees, and Stewardship for Spanish Fort United Methodist Church. He enjoys coaching youth sports (basketball, softball, and baseball) in Spanish Fort and Daphne.
In addition to his involvement in the community, Toby has also been selected to numerous leadership positions in the legal community including President, of the Alabama Association for Justice and President for the Alabama Civil Foundation.
He is married to the former Shannon Godwin of Mobile, and they reside in Daphne, Alabama with their two daughters.
Recognition & Awards
- Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Listed annually in Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top plaintiff attorneys in Alabama / Mid-South Region (Top 5% of attorneys in Alabama recognized)
- Listed annually since 2011 in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Named “Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs” in 2019 by Best Lawyers in America®
- Benchmark Plaintiff named him a "Litigation Star" in its national rankings of personal injury attorneys
- Top 100 jury verdicts in America as compiled and published by the National Law Journal and VerdictSearch:
- Jury verdict in 2012 for $140 million in medical malpractice/wrongful death case
- Jury verdict in 2011 for $40 million in product liability case
- Jury verdict in 2007 for $108 million in landfill contamination case
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0/5.0 Peer Rating
- Listed as one of the 500 "Leading Lawyers in America" by Lawdragon Magazine
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers