Lucy brings a compelling combination of intelligence, sincere compassion, and a drive to make a positive difference in people’s lives through the practice of law. A savvy and tough realist, Lucy understands that the most effective route to justice is often through aiding the underdogs who have been wronged by others. She works intelligently, thoroughly and tirelessly to help these “Davids” take on their “Goliaths” – doing whatever it takes to investigate and understand their experience while helping them convey their story. For Lucy, her litigation wins speak not only to big results – she has obtained over $50 million in verdicts and settlements in the last five years alone – but also to making things right.
An Alabama native, Lucy graduated magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in the top 5% of her class. Fueled by a desire to be a force for long-lasting change, Lucy ran a non-profit organization after college and volunteered nearly 200 hours at the Neighborhood Legal Services Program in Washington, D.C. in law school, during which she assisted in the representation of those who could not afford legal counsel. She continues to serve the disadvantaged and draw attention to the need for increasing diversity through her work on the numerous boards and committees on which she serves.
Lucy brings her clients keen legal skills coupled with an exceptional level of commitment. When she takes on a case, Lucy takes her role seriously and is in it for the long-haul. A formidable opponent in the courtroom, Lucy is equally tenacious when it comes to researching and preparing for a case. She leaves no stone unturned in her pursuit to ensure her clients’ stories are heard, understood and taken seriously.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Admitted to practice in all Alabama state and federal courts, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court
- Benchmark Litigation named her a “Litigation Star” in its rankings of personal injury attorneys in Alabama (2018)
- Named a 2016 Winning Litigator by The National Law Journal
- Mobile Bay Magazine 2014 Class of Forty Under Forty
- Inducted into the Order of the Coif and graduated in the top 5% of her class
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2016 - Present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers Business Edition "Women in the Law" for Personal Injury Litigation (2016 & 2017)
- Listed in Super Lawyers as one of the “Top 50: Women in the Mid-South: Personal Injury General Plaintiff” (2018)
- Listed in Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top plaintiff attorneys in Alabama / Mid-South Region (2013-present)
- Listed in Super Lawyers magazine as one of Alabama's Rising Stars (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 4.9/5.0 Peer Rating
- Avvo 10.0/10.0 (Superb) Rating
- Received the 2012 Distinguished Service Award from the South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program (“SAVLP”), which recognized her both for providing pro bono legal representation to members of the community and for helping to raise money for the SAVLP
- One of four students selected to Georgetown University Law Center’s National Trial Competition Team (2006-2008)
- Truman Scholar (2003)
- Admitted to the Alabama Bar in 2008
- Georgetown University, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.A, English, 2004, summa cum laude; Minor: Philosophy of Law; Concentration: Professional Writing and Public Discourse
- Mobile Bar Association Women Lawyers – Immediate Past President (2014); also served as President (2011 and 2013), Vice President (2010), and Secretary (2012)
- Alabama State Bar, Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Section – Member (2011 and 2012)
- Paul W. Brock American Inn of Court, an organization made of up judges and lawyers who meet monthly to discuss matters of ethics, skill, and professionalism in our legal community – Member (2011 – present)
- Alabama Leadership Initiative ("ALI"), a program through which emerging leaders from across the state explore various issues associated with education, economic development and government – Graduate (2010)
- Mobile Bar Association – Member (2009-Present)
- Alabama Association for Justice – Member (2009 – present)
- American Association of Justice – Member (2009 – present)
- Litigation Counsel of America – Associate Fellow (2016 – present)
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program – Member, Participant and Fundraiser (2010-present)
- American Bar Association’s “Next Steps Challenge,” an initiative to increase diversity within the legal profession – Co-Chair (2011)
- Alabama Civil Justice Foundation, which provides financial assistance to charitable organizations serving disadvantaged and at risk families and children in Alabama – Junior Board Member (2010-2011)
- Mobile Area Education Foundation – Principal for a Day Volunteer (2011)
Benchmark Names Cunningham Bounds a Leading Litigation Firm in Alabama
MOBILE, Ala. – Benchmark Litigation announced its ...
All Partners of Cunningham Bounds Recognized in 2018 Mid-South Super Lawyers
All partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have been ...
Twelve Attorneys from Cunningham Bounds, LLC Named to 2019 “Best Lawyers” List
Cunningham Bounds, LLC is pleased to announce that ...
$1.7 MILLION VERDICT UPHELD IN DOLLAR GENERAL SLIP-AND-FALL CASE
The Alabama Supreme Court has upheld a $1.7 ...
2017 SUPER LAWYERS LIST INCLUDES ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS, LLC
Mobile, Ala. – The partners of Cunningham Bounds, ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED AS LEADING LITIGATION LAW FIRM IN ALABAMA
MOBILE, Ala. – Benchmark Litigation announced its ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS SPONSORS NETWORKING EVENT FOR PROFESSIONAL WOMEN & BENEFITTING PENELOPE HOUSE
Mobile, Ala. – The attorneys of Cunningham Bounds ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA®
MOBILE, Ala. – Twelve personal injury attorneys ...
2017 BEST LAWYERS BUSINESS EDITION “WOMEN IN THE LAW” RECOGNIZES LUCY TUFTS
Best Lawyers, Spring 2017 Business Edition , ...
- WINNING: A SPECIAL REPORT BY THE NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL
ALL PARTNERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECEIVE 2016 SUPER LAWYERS RANKING
Mobile, Ala. – All the partners of Cunningham ...
LUCY TUFTS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS 1 OF 23 LAWYERS IN U.S. RECOGNIZED AS A “2016 WINNING LITIGATOR” BY THE NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL
Mobile, Ala. – The National Law Journal, the ...
ALABAMA JURY RETURNS $1,725,000 VERDICT AGAINST DOLLAR GENERAL FOR INADEQUATE INSPECTION POLICIES
On September 21, 2016, a Mobile County, Alabama ...
NETWORKING EVENT FOR PROFESSIONAL WOMEN SPONSORED BY CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS, LLC
Mobile, Ala. – The public is invited to attend the ...
LAWYERS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS LISTED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2017
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen personal injury lawyers ...
SINGING RIVER’S REFUSAL TO PAY PENSIONS COSTS MISSISSIPPI COUNTY
By Darrell Preston Published: June 17, 2016, ...
COURT APPROVES $150 MILLION SINGING RIVER HEALTH SYSTEMS PENSION SETTLEMENT
By: Jon Coxwell, Lagniappe Published: June 8, 2016 ...
MISSISSIPPI HEALTH SYSTEM TO PUT $150 MILLION INTO PENSION PLAN TO SETTLE CLASS ACTION
By: Lisa Schencker, Modern Healthcare Published: ...
LUCY TUFTS NAMED TO BEST LAWYERS BUSINESS EDITION “WOMEN IN THE LAW”
Best Lawyers, Spring 2016 Business Edition , ...
BANKRUPTCY COURT ENTERS $102 MILLION JUDGMENT AGAINST DEFENDANTS IN A MASSIVE CONSUMER FRAUD CASE
Montgomery, Ala. – Following a trial that took ...
PROPOSED SETTLEMENT REACHED IN SINGING RIVER HEALTH SYSTEM PENSION CRISIS
Mobile, Ala. – Attorneys with the law firms of ...
MOBILE’S WOMEN LAWYERS RAISE THOUSANDS FOR LOCAL GIRL SCOUTS
Mobile, Ala. – Recently, the Mobile Bar ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS SPONSORS NETWORKING EVENT FOR PROFESSIONAL WOMEN
Mobile, Ala. – The attorneys and staff of ...
LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST SINGING RIVER HEALTH SYSTEM DUE TO UNFUNDED PENSION PLAN
Attorneys with Cunningham Bounds are working with ...
ATTORNEYS OF CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS RECOGNIZED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® 2016
MOBILE, Ala. – Thirteen lawyers from the firm ...
ALL CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS PARTNERS NAMED TO ALABAMA SUPER LAWYERS
All the partners of Cunningham Bounds, LLC have ...
- LUCY TUFTS NAMED TO FORTY UNDER 40 CLASS OF 2014
LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST SINGING RIVER DUE TO DEFUNCT PENSION PLAN
Mobile, Ala. – Attorneys with Cunningham Bounds, ...
DEFECTIVE MARINE ENGINE LEADS TO US $46-MILLION LEGAL SETTLEMENT
By George Backwell Wednesday, June 11, 2014 A week ...
- $46M FOR BENDER MISHAP
- LUCY TUFTS RECOGNIZED FOR VOLUNTEERISM
TEN ATTORNEYS WITH CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS NAMED TO SUPER LAWYERS 2013
MOBILE, Ala. – Ten attorneys with Cunningham ...
CUNNINGHAM BOUNDS WELCOMES NEW ASSOCIATE LUCY E. TUFTS
Mobile, Alabama -- Cunningham Bounds, LLC is ...
FAQ About Personal Injury Claims (Part 1)
Attorney Lucy Tufts and Robert Mitchell answer frequently asked questions like "How long do I have to file a claim?" "How should I document my ...Play Video
FAQ About Personal Injury Claims (Part 3)
Attorney Lucy Tufts and Robert Mitchell answer frequently asked questions about injury cases like "Is my lawyer required to update me about my case?" ...Play Video
FAQ About Personal Injury Claims (Part 4)
Attorney Lucy Tufts and Robert Mitchell answer frequently asked questions about injury cases like "Are 'no fee guarantees' important?" "Should I trust ...Play Video
What Are Compensatory Damages?
Attorneys Lucy Tufts and William Bonner discuss the different types of compensation a person can recover from either the person or company that caused ...Play Video
Fox 10 News Reports On Recovering Firefighter From Bender Shipbuilding Fire Play Video
Local 15 News Reports On Settlements In Mobile River Ship Explosion Play Video
- Legal Update 2019
- Legal Update Fall 2018
To What Extent Are The Contents Of Your Client’s Medical Records Admissible?
Women for Justice
Women For Justice
Does inclusion of workers' compensation claims prevent removal of third-party tort claims in cases when removal is ...
- Legal Update Winter 2017
Tips from the Trenches
The Statute § 6-5-551. Complaint to detail circumstances rendering provider liable; discovery.
- LEGAL UPDATE - SUMMER 2016
DISCOVERABILITY OF DE-IDENTIFIED PATIENT RECORDS
There are a number of reasons plaintiffs seek discovery of medical records of patients other than themselves, and such ...
- LEGAL UPDATE SUMMER 2015
Suggested Strategies For Defeating Removal To Federal Court When There Is Complete Diversity
When litigation is necessary, a plaintiff has the right to choose the forum. As an initial matter, plaintiff's counsel ...