In an era when fewer and fewer civil cases go to trial, Skip Finkbohner has consistently won major court battles over a significant period of time and across a wide range of different types of cases, including wrongful death, product liability, complex commercial litigation, fraud, industrial accidents, environmental, medical malpractice, and others. Skip and his team examine the smallest of details and take the time to explain to juries the complex scientific, engineering and medical issues that are often the key factors in winning cases.
After graduating from college at Duke University (magna cum laude), and then from Duke Law School, the Mobile Alabama native achieved early success in the courtroom. This inspired him to fight for those who he felt were wronged, knowing that with enough preparation, and by adhering to ethical values, he could help improve the lives of others by fighting for them rather than taking unfair settlements.
Skip has represented plaintiffs in many cases that resulted in record-breaking jury verdicts, including the two of the three largest jury verdicts in Alabama since 2003. These include his representation of the following:
- Dr. Peter Mannsfeld, a scientist, against Ineos Phenol GmbH & CO., KG, which resulted in a $192 million verdict. This was the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County, and the largest ever achieved in Alabama for an intellectual property/trade secrets case.
- The family of Sharron Juno against Thomas Hospital and Precise Solutions in a medical malpractice/wrongful death case in Baldwin County, which is generally considered one of the most conservative venues in Alabama. The trial of this case resulted in a $140 million verdict, which was the largest ever achieved in Baldwin County, and the largest ever achieved in a medical malpractice trial in Alabama. Skip was featured on Great Trials Podcast discussing the facts of this verdict in November, 2019.
- The parents of Tiffany Stabler in a product liability case against Kia for a defective seatbelt that resulted in their daughter’s death during a single vehicle accident. The trial of this case resulted in a $40 million verdict, the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County for a case involving a single death.
- The family of Annie Barnes for consumer fraud against American General Life and Accident arising from the sale and servicing of a life insurance policy. The trial of this case resulted in a $35 million verdict, which is the largest verdict ever achieved in Mobile County for fraud perpetrated on a single consumer.
- The family of Ben Brackett in an industrial accident, electrical contact wrongful death case against Alabama Power Company. The trial of this case resulted in a $20 million verdict.
These and other verdicts were recognized by The National Law Journal and Verdict Search as ranking in the top 100 jury verdicts in the United States in the years these cases were tried. More information about these and many other cases Skip has handled can be found by clicking here: “Significant Verdicts.”
Skip applies years of experience and invests the time necessary to understand the details of every case. Working tirelessly to ensure the best possible outcome for his clients, he has traveled to India, the Ukraine, Europe, and throughout the United States to subpoena and obtain testimony from witnesses. He even ordered a team of engineers to tear apart a marine engine the size of a tractor trailer rig to identify a single missing bolt that had caused a large explosion and ship fire.
Skip and his wife Sandra live in Theodore, and have been married more than 30 years. They have three grown daughters, Baxter, Rachel and Hannah Marie.
Skip and some of his courtroom work has been featured in several publications:
- $192 million jury verdict for inventor in intellectual property case
- $140 million jury verdict for wrongful death of a patient
- $50 million jury verdict in a defective water heater explosion
- $46 million settlement in a defective marine engine product liability case
- $40 million jury verdict defective seatbelt case
- $35 million jury verdict against American General Life & Accident Company
- $20 million jury verdict in wrongful death case
- $14.8 million jury verdict related to a home gas explosion
- $10 million judgment in a case against Regions Bank
- $10 million settlement in collision with tractor-trailer resulting in death
- $9.5 million settlement for a man burned in workplace
- $7.15 million jury verdict for wrongful death by gas poisoning
- $6.5 million settlement for client injured in head-on collision
- $5.5 million jury verdict in medical malpractice case
- $5.1 million jury verdict against Waste Management of Alabama
- $5 million settlement over industrial accident
- $4 million jury verdict against hospital pharmacy for fatal dose
- $900,000 settlement for man who suffered a herniated disc
- $870,000 jury verdict against driver failing to yield right-of-way
- Numerous other confidential settlements
Recognition & Awards
- National Law Journal, Top 100 jury verdicts in America
- Jury verdict in 2003 for $20 million for wrongful death in an industrial accident - #92 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2007 for $50 million in product liability wrongful death trial--#32 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2008 for $192 million in commercial litigation/intellectual property trial--#14 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2011 for $40 million in product liability/crashworthiness trial--#50 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Jury verdict in 2012 for $140 million in medical malpractice/wrongful death trial--#20 largest verdict in the United States. (more info link)
- Settlement in 2014 for $46 million on the eve of trial in product liability case--#2 largest settlement in the United States. (more info link)
- Business Alabama Magazine: “Top Dollar Takedowns: Biggest Jury Awards in the Last Five Years” (more info link)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist (1996 – present)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (2015 – present)
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate
- Alabama Chapter, President (2020)
- Chambers USA, listed (2017 – present)
- Benchmark Litigation, recognized as National Personal Injury “Litigation Stars” by Benchmark Plaintiff (one of only 20 attorneys in the United States) (2012 and 2013)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (2015 – present)
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Personal Injury Litigation (2006 – present)
- Product Liability Litigation (2010 – present)
- Commercial Litigation (2010 – present)
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions (2010 – present)
- Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs (2010 – present)
- Named “Lawyer of the Year: Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs” in Mobile, Alabama (2017 and 2021)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers (2019 – present)
- Super Lawyers, listed as one of the top plaintiff attorneys in Alabama / Mid-South Region (2009 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 5.0/5.0 Peer Rating
- Inducted into the McGill-Toolen Catholic High School Hall of Fame in 2001 for athletic accomplishments